[quantum-info] Q+ Hangout, Tuesday July 30 5:00pm - Steve Flammia

Aharon Brodutch cap.fwiffo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 11:31:50 EDT 2013

Hi all
The next Q+ Hangout will be next Tuesday at 5:00pm
We will join in the videoconferencing room B201

Speaker: Steven Flammia (University of Sydney)
Title: Thermalization, Error-Correction, and Memory Lifetime for Ising
Anyon Systems
Abstract:
We consider two-dimensional lattice models that support Ising anyonic
excitations and are coupled to a thermal bath, and we propose a
phenomenological model to describe the resulting short-time dynamics,
including pair-creation, hopping, braiding, and fusion of anyons. By
explicitly constructing topological quantum error-correcting codes for this
class of system, we use our thermalization model to estimate the lifetime
of quantum information stored in the code space. To decode and correct
errors in these codes, we adapt several existing topological decoders to
the non-Abelian setting: one based on Edmond's perfect matching algorithm
and one based on the renormalization group. These decoders provably run in
polynomial time, and one of them has a provable threshold against a simple
iid noise model. Using numerical simulations, we find that the error
correction thresholds for these codes/decoders are comparable to similar
values for the toric code (an Abelian sub-model consisting of a restricted
set of allowed anyons). To our knowledge, these are the first threshold
results for quantum codes without explicit Pauli algebraic structure. Joint
work with Courtney Brell and Simon Burton.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106437404974814751790/posts

Cheers
 Aharon