[quantum-info] PIQuDos Seminar: Benoit Collins (Thursday, 3pm)

Markus Mueller mmueller at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Jan 28 10:26:20 EST 2013

Dear fellow quantum information enthusiasts,

on *Thursday at 3pm* (note unusual time), we have a PIQuDos seminar by
Benoit Collins.

Title: *Random matrices, free probability and quantum information theory*
Speaker: *Benoit Collins* (University of Ottawa)

Abstract:
In quantum information theory, random techniques have proven to be very
useful. For example, many questions related to the problem of the
additivity of entropies of quantum channels rely on fine properties of
concentration of measure.
In this talk, I will show that very different techniques of random
matrix theory can complement quite efficiently more classical random
techniques. I will spend some time on discussing the Weingarten calculus
approach, and the operator norm approach. Both techniques have been
initially used in free probability theory, and I will give some new
applications of these techniques to quantum information theory.

Date: Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 - 3:00 pm
Location: Space Room (400)

Best,
Markus