[quantum-info] coming colloquium Monday Sept 24

Debbie Leung wcleung at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Sep 20 14:56:09 EDT 2012

Sept. 24, 2012 at 12:30 (** sharp **) p.m. RAC1 2009

Speaker: Daniel Nagaj

Title: Criticality without Frustration

Abstract

How much entanglement can there be in a ground state of a simple 1D system
with local interactions? Critical behavior (e.g. long-range correlations)
is usually associated with frustration. When a system is unfrustrated (all
local Hamiltonian terms are minimized), we expect the ground state to be
simple. While this holds for qubits, things are quite different for
higher-spin particles (already for qutrits). We'll talk about a state made
from well bracketed words and look at the proof of its high entanglement
entropy scaling and a lower bound of the Hamiltonian using congestion in
graphs, parenting trees, many uses of the projection lemma and other fun
stuff.

joint work with Sergey Bravyi, Libor Caha, Ramis Movassagh and Peter Shor,
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1203.5801

keywords: unfrustrated ground states, quantum 2-SAT, qutrits, Motzkin
paths, perturbation theory, projection lemma, fractional matchings