[quantum-info] Quantum information seminar on Wednesday

Markus Mueller markus14m at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:44:03 EST 2012

Hi all,

this *Wednesday*, we have a seminar talk by Olivier Landon-Cardinal at
4pm in the Time Room.

Best wishes,
Markus

Title: *Local topological order inhibits thermal stability in 2D**
**
* Speaker: Olivier Landon-Cardinal (University of Sherbrooke)

Abstract:
We study the robustness of quantum information stored in the degenerate
ground space of a local, frustration-free Hamiltonian with commuting
terms on a 2D spin lattice. On one hand, a macroscopic energy barrier
separating the distinct ground states under local transformations would
protect the information from thermal fluctuations. On the other hand,
local topological order would shield the ground space from static
perturbations. Here we demonstrate that local topological order implies
a constant energy barrier, thus inhibiting thermal stability. Joint work
with David Poulin.
arXiv:1209.5750