[quantum-info] PI quantum information seminar on Monday

Markus Mueller markus14m at gmail.com
Thu May 10 10:27:23 EDT 2012

Hi all,

next Monday, we have a seminar talk by Filippo Miatto at 4 pm in Alice
room (301). See title and abstract below.

Best wishes,
Markus

Title: *Hidden structures in high dimensional entanglement*
Speaker: Filippo Miatto ( University of Strathclyde)

Abstract:
The minimal dimension of the Hilbert space that hosts states of an
entangled pair of photons can be extremely high. The process of
spontaneous parametric down-conversion (SPDC) is a possible way of
producing highly entangled photon pairs, in both the spatial and
temporal parts of the wave function. However, the most common
approximations that are used in the analytical treatment of SPDC hinder
the possibility of noticing further structures of the single joint
modes. We used a more general formalism, showing that the entangled
modes are still eigenfunctions of the orbital angular momentum, but the
radial modes are far from the usual ones and they show novel interesting
features that might be explained by introducing an additional quantum
number. The problem of dealing with SPDC states has two faces: we need
to know with enough confidence what state are created, and we need to
know with enough confidence what states we are projecting on, upon
measurement. We tried to approach both these problems together, and we
showed that high dimensional entanglement shields the
amount of information that can be stored in a photon from imperfect
measurements. In my talk I will present both these aspects of
high-dimensionally entangled states of photon pairs.