[quantum-info] PIQuDos this week

Markus Mueller markus14m at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:39:04 EST 2012

Hi all,

this Wednesday we have Adrian Hutter from ETH Zurich speaking at 4pm in
the Time room. His title and abstract are below.

Best wishes,
Markus

Title: *A Quantum Information Approach to Statistical Physics

* Abstract: I will first present a theorem based on the Decoupling
Theorem of [1] which gives sufficient and necessary conditions for a
quantum channel (CPTPM) being such that it yields the same output for
almost all possible inputs. This theorem allows us to reproduce and
generalize results of [2,3], in which cornerstones of statistical
physics are derived from first principles of quantum mechanics, in a
very natural and easy way. Specifically, we express them in a way which
allows to apply results about random 2-qubit interactions [4].
Furthermore, we apply this theorem to provide a criterion for whether
different initial states of some subspace of a quantum mechanical system
in contact with an environment have at some given time already evolved
to the same state or not. As it turns out, this question can be answered
by examining a simple entropic inequality evaluated for just one
particular state [5]. Applying this criterion to realistic Hamiltonians
with local interactions may lead to improved bounds on the
thermalization times of quantum mechanical systems. Joint work with
Stephanie Wehner.

[1] F. Dupuis, M. Berta, J. Wullschleger, and R. Renner,
arXiv:1012.6044v1 (2010).
[2] S. Popescu, A. Short, and A. Winter, Nature Physics 2, 754 (2006).
[3] N. Linden, S. Popescu, A. Short, and A. Winter, New Journal of
Physics 12, 055021 (2010).
[4] A. Harrow and R. Low, Communications in Mathematical Physics 291,
257 (2009).
[5] A. Hutter and S. Wehner, arXiv:1111.3080v3 (2011).