[quantum-info] FW: KITP Announcement - QCONTROL13

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Fri Jan 6 14:27:52 EST 2012

*From:* MyVisit [mailto:myvisit at kitp.ucsb.edu]
*Sent:* January 4, 2012 5:25 PM
*To:* MyVisit
*Subject:* KITP Announcement - QCONTROL13

Dear Colleagues,

We are writing to announce the program *Control of Complex Quantum Systems,* to
be held at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of
California, Santa Barbara, during the period *January 7 – March 29, 2013*,
and to alert you that applications are now being accepted.  We also
encourage you to inform others who you think may be interested in applying.
To apply, go to the web page
http://www.kitp.ucsb.edu/activities/dbdetails?acro=qcontrol13 and click on
the *Apply* link.  Note that the *application deadline is January 30, 2012*.

We coordinators will be assisted by advisors John Martinis, Margaret
Murnane, John Preskill, and Peter Zoller.  A summary and the latest
information about the program can be found online.

There will also be a conference associated with this program, entitled *"New
Directions in the Quantum Control Landscape"* to be held from February 25 *–
* March 1, 2013.  Further information will be posted online when it becomes
available.  (It is not necessary to be a program participant in order to
attend the conference.)

It is necessary for every prospective participant to set up an account and
apply online, even if we have already corresponded with you about the
program.  Please send in your application as early as possible, including
your proposed length of stay and any financial requirements.

KITP programs differ from many conferences and workshops in that they
create a situation where scientists learn from each other and actually do
substantive research, often collaborating with other participants. To
foster these interactions, KITP strongly encourages theorists to stay for
as long as possible, with three weeks being the minimum stay for a regular
participant.  We understand, however, that experimentalists/observers often
cannot manage long visits but can have a big impact even in a week, so we
can be more flexible for them.

KITP provides office and computing facilities on-site at UC Santa Barbara
and also provides help in finding living accommodations.  Actual
commitments of office space andfinancial support can be made only by
written formal invitations from the KITP Director, David Gross, regardless
of any communications you may have had with us.

Some level of financial support will be available, the amount depending on
the needs of the participants and availability of funds.  For participants
considering bringing children for periods of four weeks or more, there may
be supplementary support availablethrough the Rice Family Fund.  Late
applications will be considered as budget and space permits.

Sincerely yours,

Tommaso Calarco <tommaso.calarco [at] uni-ulm.de>

Ivan Deutsch <ideutsch [at] unm.edu>

Gerard Milburn <milburn [at] physics.uq.edu.au>

Birgitta Whaley <whaley [at] berkeley.edu>