[quantum-info] IQC Dec 10 Colloquium

Matthew Fries mfries at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Dec 9 14:04:03 EST 2012

Title: Quantum Communication for Spin Qubits

Xuedong Hu, Department of Physics, University at Buffalo

Abstract: Recent experimental and theoretical research on spin qubits in quantum dots
have clearly demonstrated that spins have long coherence time and can be reliably
controlled.  Electron spin two-qubit gates can be performed using the strong exchange
interaction, which however is short-ranged. How to achieve long-range quantum
communication for spin qubits thus remains a significant open problem in the scale-up
of spin qubit architectures.  In this talk I will give an overview of the various
approaches to achieve spin information transfer, such as those based on spin-photon
coupling, or based on a spin bus made from a spin chain.  I will then focus on a
particular approach that involves the transportation of the electrons themselves,
which is attractive because of its conceptual simplicity and its similarity to the
conventional charge-coupled devices. Indeed, recently several experimental groups have
shown how an electron can be transported over a distance of several microns between two
quantum dots by a surface acoustic wave (SAW) in GaAs.  I will discuss our recent work
on the physics of electron spin decoherence when the quantum dot is in motion.
Specifically, we find that the motion induced spin decoherence is a pure longitudinal
relaxation channel.  Our results not only show how severe a problem this decoherence
could be, but also clearly indicate how to reduce the decoherence effects of electron
motion.

We thank support by US ARO, DARPA QuEST, and NSF PIF.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm
RAC1 2009
https://services.iqc.uwaterloo.ca/visitors/talks/talk/283/