[quantum-info] Quantum information seminar today

Markus Mueller mmueller at perimeterinstitute.ca
Thu Dec 6 10:10:20 EST 2012

Hi all,

today (Thursday), we have a seminar talk by Gus Gutoski at 2:30pm in the
Alice Room.

Best wishes,
Markus

Title: *Quantum one-time programs**
**
* Speaker: Gus Gutoski (IQC Waterloo)

Abstract:
A "one-time program" for a channel C is a hypothetical cryptographic
primitive by which a user may evaluate C on only one input state of her
choice.  (Think Mission Impossible: "this tape will self-destruct in
five seconds.")  One-time programs cannot be achieved without extra
assumptions such as secure hardware; it is known that one-time programs
can be constructed for classical channels using a very basic
hypothetical hardware device called a "one-time memory".

Our main result is the construction of a one-time program for any
quantum channel specified by a circuit, assuming the same basic one-time
memory devices used for classical channels.  The construction achieves
universal composability -- the strongest possible security -- against
any quantum adversary.  It employs a technique for computation on
authenticated quantum data and we present a new authentication scheme
called the "trap" scheme for this purpose.

Finally, we observe that there is a pathological class of channels that
admit trivial one-time programs without any hardware assumptions
whatsoever.  We characterize these channels, assuming an interesting
conjecture on the invertible (or decoherence-free) subspaces of an
arbitrary channel.

Joint work with Anne Broadbent and Douglas Stebila.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.1080