[quantum-info] Q+ hangout: Jonathan Oppenheim, April 24 (tomorrow!) @ 9am, RAC1 2108

Marco marcojunkemail at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 10:59:29 EDT 2012

Q+ hangout: Jonathan Oppenheim, April 24 (tomorrow!) @ 9am, RAC1 2108

IQC, RAC1 2108 (second floor kitchen)
Tuesday, April 24
9:00am

Jonathan Oppenheim, University College London

Title: Fundamental limitations for quantum and nano thermodynamics

Abstract: The relationship between thermodynamics and statistical
physics is valid in the thermodynamic limit -- when the number of
particles involved becomes very large. Here we study thermodynamics in
the opposite regime -- at both the nano scale, and when quantum
effects become important. Applying results from quantum information
theory we construct a theory of thermodynamics in these extreme
limits. In the quantum regime, we find that the standard free energy
no longer determines the amount of work which can be extracted from a
resource, nor which state transitions can occur spontaneously. We
derive a criteria for thermodynamical state transitions, and find two
free energies: one which determines the amount of work which can be
extracted from a small system in contact with a heat bath, and the
other which quantifies the reverse process. They imply that
generically, there are additional constraints which govern spontaneous
thermodynamical processes. We find that there are fundamental
limitations on work extraction from nonequilibrium states, due to both
finite size effects which are present at the nano scale, as well as
quantum coherences. This implies that thermodynamical transitions are
generically irreversible at this scale, and we quantify the degree to
which this is so, and the condition for reversibility to hold. There
are particular equilibrium processes which approach the ideal
efficiency, provided that certain special conditions are met. Based on http://arxiv.org/abs/1111.3834

For more information about Q+ hangouts, http://qplus.burgarth.de/

PS All meeting rooms in RAC1 were booked: in case I can find a better
option than RAC1 2108, I will let you know/post a note