[quantum-info] QI seminar today, 4 pm time room

Markus Mueller markus14m at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 08:02:57 EDT 2012

Dear all,

this is a reminder that Maarten van den Nest will be giving the quantum
information seminar at PI today. See the title and abstract below.

Best wishes,
Markus

Title: *A monomial matrix formalism to describe quantum many-body states*
Speaker: Maarten van den Nest (Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics,
Garching/Munich, Germany)

Abstract:
We propose a framework to describe and simulate a class of many-body
quantum states. We do so by considering joint eigenspaces of sets of
monomial unitary matrices, called "M-spaces"; a unitary matrix is
monomial if precisely one entry per row and column is nonzero. We show
that M-spaces encompass various important state families, such as all
Pauli stabilizer states and codes, the AKLT model, Kitaev's anyon
models, W states and several others. We furthermore demonstrate how
basic properties of M-spaces can transparently be understood by
manipulating their monomial stabilizer groups. Finally we show that a
large subclass of M-spaces can be simulated efficiently classically with
one unified method. [cf. M. Van den Nest, http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.0531]