[quantum-info] Two talks at PI next week

Ashwin Nayak anayak at math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Oct 20 11:51:52 EDT 2011

Talks of interest at PI:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:25:32 -0400
From: Roger Colbeck <rcolbeck at perimeterinstitute.ca>
Subject: Two talks next week

Hi all,

Next week we have two talks.  The first is on Monday at 4pm in the time
room by Spiros Michalakis:

Title: Stability of Frustration-Free Hamiltonians.

Abstract: We generalize the result of Bravyi et al. on the stability of the
spectral gap for frustration-free, commuting Hamiltonians, by removing the
assumption of commutativity and weakening the assumptions needed for stability.

The second is in on Wednesday at 4pm in the time room by Ville Lahtinen:

Title: Majorana Fermion Models for Interacting Non-Abelian Anyons

Abstract: We introduce an effective free Majorana fermion lattice model to
study collective states of interacting non-Abelian anyons. We apply it to
Kitaev's honeycomb lattice model and show that the Abelian phases emerging due
to the presence of anyonic vortex lattices are fully determined by the
anyon-anyon interactions when both nearest and next to nearest interactions are
included. The necessity to consider also the next to nearest terms derives from
oscillations in the interactions that are present in most topological models
such as p-wave superconductors or the fractional quantum Hall liquids. Our
results provide a first demonstration of an anyon-anyon interaction induced
transition in a microscopic model. Given the ability to measure the tunneling
amplitudes, the introduced effective model is readily employed to study the
phase diagram of any system that supports tunneling Majorana fermions.

Best wishes,

Roger