[quantum-info] additional talk tomorrow

Roger Colbeck rcolbeck at perimeterinstitute.ca
Wed Dec 7 17:03:53 EST 2011

Hi all,

Tomorrow there is an additional talk.  Details below.

Best wishes,

Roger

---
Title: Studying Many-body physics through coding theory

Speaker(s): Ramis Movassagh - MIT

Abstract: Many interesting physical systems in condensed matter physics
may be described in the language of error-correcting codes. In this
talk, we illustrate the applications of coding theoretical techniques to
problems in many-body physics by reviewing our recent works. In
particular, we discuss (1) the classification of quantum phases via
local quantum codes, (2) thermal stability of topological order and its
relation to feasibility of self-correcting quantum memory, and (3)
information storage capacity of discrete spin systems.