[quantum-info] PIQuDos this week

Roger Colbeck rcolbeck at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Dec 5 21:56:13 EST 2011

Hi all,

This Wednesday we have Eric Chitambar speaking at 4pm in the time room.
  His title and abstract are below.

Best wishes,

Roger

---
Title: More Rounds of Measurement Increase the Abilities to Locally
Transform Quantum States

Abstract: The class of Local Operations with Classical Communication
(LOCC) is a fundamental object in quantum communication and entanglement
theory. However, despite its importance, LOCC still lacks a clear
understanding from both a physics and math perspective. For instance, it
is unknown the extent to which more rounds of measurement and
communication can enhance the ability to perform certain tasks.

In this talk, we will consider the problem of random-pair EPR
distillation in which three qubit entanglement is converted into
bipartite maximal entanglement with the target pair a priori
unspecified.  I will show that for certain random-pair distillations,
there exists tight lower bounds on the number of LOCC rounds needed to
achieve a given overall success probability.  Furthermore, I will
describe certain entanglement transformations that are possible if and
only if the protocol uses an infinite (unbounded) number of rounds.
Interestingly, the number of rounds required to distil bipartite
entanglement from particular multipartite states can depend
discontinuously on the amount of entanglement distilled.