[quantum-info] Talks (Tomorrow!) and Visitors

William Matthews will at northala.net
Sun Oct 24 18:09:38 EDT 2010

If you notice something you feel is missing from this mail,
or have a correction, please inform the mailing list.

------ This week ------

-- Talks --

Monday (TOMORROW), Oct 25 2010 4pm, Perimeter Institute - Room 405,
Esther Hanggi, ETH Zurich
Title: Device-independent quantum key distribution
Abstract: Even though the security of quantum key distribution has been rigorously proven, most practical schemes can be attacked and broken. These attacks make use of imperfections of the physical devices used for their implementation. Since current security proofs assume that the physical devices' exact and complete specification is known, they do not hold for this scenario. The goal of device-independent quantum key distribution is to show security without making any assumptions about the internal working of the devices. In this talk, I will first explain the assumptions 'traditional' security proofs make and why they are problematic. Then, I will discuss how the violation of Bell inequalities can be used to show security even when a large part of the physical devices is untrusted. (arXiv: 1009.1630).

Tuesday, Oct 26 2010 2pm, Perimeter Institute - Room 405,
Brian Swingle, MIT
Title: Mutual information and the structure of entanglement in quantum field theory
Abstract: In this talk I will describe my recent work on the structure of entanglement in field theory from the point of view of mutual information. I will give some basic scaling intuition for the entanglement entropy and then describe how this intuition is better captured by the mutual information. I will also describe a proposal for twist operators that can be used to calculate the mutual information using the replica method. Finally, I will discuss the relevance of my results for holographic duality and entanglement based simulation methods for many body systems.

-- Visitors --

Esther Hanggi (ETH Zurich) is visiting PI until October 29th 2010
hosted by Roger Colbeck

------ Upcoming (next 4 weeks - not exhaustive!) ------

-- Talks --

Tuesday, Nov 2nd 1:30pm, U. of Guelph, SCIE1504,
Bei Zeng (IQC and University of Guelph)
"Quantum codes give counterexamples to the unique pre-image conjecture of the n-representability problem"

Wednesday, Nov 8th 4:00pm, PI, Room 405,
Kristan Temme (University of Vienna)
"TBA" (Perimeter Institute Quantum Discussions)

Monday, Nov 15th 12:30 pm, IQC (RAC1) Room 2009
Patrick Hayden (McGill and Perimeter Institute)
"TBA"

-- Visitors --

Patrick Hayden (McGill University) will be visiting PI
November 1st through December 15th - Quantum Information
hosted by Neil Turok

Paolo Perinotti (Universita degli Studi di Pavia) will be visiting PI
November 4th through November 18th
hosted by Giulio Chiribella

Kristan Temme (University of Vienna) will be visiting PI
November 6th through November 12th
hosted by Michele Mosca

Taylor Hughes (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign) will be visiting PI
November 8th through November 22nd
hosted by Alioscia Hamma

Giacomo Mauro D'Ariano (Universita degli Studi di Pavia) will be visiting PI
November 9th through December 2nd
hosted by Giulio Chiribella

Marcin Pawlowski (University of Gdansk) will be visiting PI
November 14th through November 18th
hosted by Giulio Chiribella