[quantum-info] IQC lunch meeting tomorrow

Debbie Leung wcleung at iqc.ca
Mon Nov 29 14:20:58 EST 2010

> If you notice something you feel is missing from this mail,
> or have a correction, please inform the mailing list.

Indeed ... we have a special 1-hr feature tomorrow at the usual theory
lunch time slot (12:01-1pm, RAC 2009) by Andrew Childs on the following:

Constructing elliptic curve isogenies in quantum subexponential time

Given two elliptic curves over a finite field having the same
cardinality and endomorphism ring, it is known that the curves admit
an isogeny between them, but finding such an isogeny is believed to be
computationally difficult. Recently, public-key cryptosystems based on
this problem have been proposed as potentially resistant to quantum
attacks. We give a quantum algorithm for constructing isogenies that
runs in subexponential time assuming the Generalized Riemann
Hypothesis (and with no other heuristic assumptions). This result
suggests that isogeny-based cryptosystems may be uncompetitive with
more mainstream alternatives such as lattice-based cryptography.

Based on joint work with David Jao and Vladimir Soukharev.