[MacTUG] Follow-up on passing of Cassie Bechard

Gregory Smith g8smith at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 4 14:52:08 EDT 2023

Colleagues,

I'm writing this afternoon with an update on the unexpected passing of Cassie Bechard. Cassie's obituary has now been posted<https://www.familiesfirst.ca/memorials/cassandra--bechard/5223175/>. The obituary notes that the funeral will be a private family gathering, and that a memorial service will be held in Kitchener-Waterloo at a later date.  I will keep our community informed as I receive details about the memorial.

Cassie's mother also asked that I share openly the cause of Cassie's death, which was under investigation at the time of my previous message about a week ago.  Cassie died of a pulmonary embolism as a result of their recent broken ankle.

An article celebrating Cassie's 15+ year contributions to the Waterloo campus community will appear soon in the daily bulletin.

We all remain so saddened about Cassie's sudden death.  In our collective grief, I can share that I have received messages of condolence from many members of the campus community, and I know others in IST have received the same. With certainty, Cassie was a cornerstone of our campus community, and we miss them dearly.

Sincerely,
Greg

--
Gregory Smith
Chief Information Officer

Pronouns:  he/him/his

The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.