[MacTUG] About macOS Server 5.7.1 and later - Apple Support (CA)

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 11 15:03:33 EST 2023

Boy I have writing this email…
MAD are still using an MDM server for our labs (which is running Monterey). Frankly I am doubtful this lab will survive as a mac lab.

Years ago (> a decade?) I could rationalize having both windows labs and mac labs. At the time, the ease of building a mac lab (and the complexity of building a pc lab) was such that I felt the total time in building both sets of labs was about the same if all the labs were windows. BTW in case you are wondering, going the “all Mac” route was not possible as key software was (and is) only available on windows.

Currently, the (uw supplied) tools for building windows environments have massively improved things, whereas all the tools I used to use (macAdmin, DeployStudio, Apple Server) have gone by the wayside. Sure we could use an awesome MDM like JAMF but the price and learning time and staff time to maintain it is not really worth it for the small number of macs involved (~30-40)

This is NOT saying that UW should not pursue common a mac management tool. But for us in MAD the use of it in a lab environment (were I am/was using Apple Server) is not needed.

Please insert the obligatory “I am glad I did not get an apple tattoo decades ago when I was a 100% fanboi” comment

Donald Duff-McCracken (he/him)
Director | Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment | University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x42151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
I acknowledge that I work and teach on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishnaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, land promised and given to Six Nations, which includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.

The information in this message, including any attachments, may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure which is not necessary and proper in the discharge of the University's functions is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.