[MacTUG] fyi: Deleting an macos account when the person is nolonger at UW

Marlon A Griffith m3griffi at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Sep 7 11:06:24 EDT 2022

== Problem

I had to delete a user account from someone who had left the university.
When I tried to from System Preferences > Users & Groups, it prompted me
for that person's appleid password. That was a major issue.

== Solution

Delete the account from the terminal cli.

'How to Delete a User Account on macOS? | by Dylan Wang | Mac O’Clock |
Medium,'
"""
1. Follow the command to Delete a User Account

     $ sudo /usr/bin/dscl . -delete /Users/<USER_ACCOUNT>

$ sudo /usr/bin/dscl . -delete /Users/dylan

2. List all User Accounts

$ /usr/bin/dscl . -list /Users

3. Show a User Account Information

     $ /usr/bin/dscl . -read /Users/<USER_ACCOUNT>

$ /usr/bin/dscl . -read /Users/dylan

Reference:

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/21590/unhide-delete-a-user-account

https://medium.com/macoclock/how-to-delete-a-user-account-on-macos-54623c84f336