[MacTUG] SCSI challenge

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 9 11:25:20 EST 2022

I am trying to determine if there is anything, or anything of value, on an old SCSI hard disk a person has.

Believe it or not, I am able to get the old hard disk attached to my new Mac. SCSI hard drive in external SCSI case <-> SCSI case to FireRex adapter ( SCSI to 400 Firewire ) <-> 400 firewire to 800 firewire cable <-> Firewire to Thunderbolt 2 adapter <-> Thunder 2 to Thunderbolt 3/4 adapter <-> Thunderbolt port on Mac.

The drive appears in disk utilities but it says it is corrupt and can not fix it or mount the drive. I also booted up an old Mac I had with Firewire 800 to eliminate some of the stuff, but same results.

At this point, I am going to conclude that either the hard drive is bad and thus not recoverable or that the hard disk is formatted in some format that current OS’s can no longer read.

It does look like in Disk Util that I can format the drive, doing so would however destroy any data on it.

Has anyone else tried to mount/read an really old SCSI drive with a modern OS/Mac?

Any suggestions?

PS. It sounds like this drive may have come from a 68K Mac.