[MacTUG] Disabling Siri (and other screens at first login)

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 26 18:59:04 EST 2021

Greetings
I am trying to limit the “splash screens” when a new user logs in to my managed Macs. Note that most of my managed macs are new enough to be part of Apple School Manager and I can control the login experience for them from ASM via the Enrolment Settings in my MDM (the lowly Apple Server App). The issue is the some macs I have that cannot join ASM. These oldies are currently running Catalina.

I have found some mobileconfigprofiles by Rtrouton that generally seem to do the trick for most of the screens but the siri one is not working
https://github.com/rtrouton/profiles/tree/main/SkipSiriSetup

I would consider this a “trivial” issue but it bugs me! If anyone has any suggestions that is most welcome. (And JAMF folks saying “get a proper MDM and stop using Profile Manager” is only appropriate if you will buy it for me 😉 )

Thanks
don
Donald Duff-McCracken (he/him)
Director | Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment | University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x42151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
I acknowledge that I work and teach on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishnaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, land promised and given to Six Nations, which includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.

The information in this message, including any attachments, may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure which is not necessary and proper in the discharge of the University's functions is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.