[MacTUG] Parallels Desktop for Mac in Windows integrated mode & Dragon Naturally Speaking for PC?

Keith Peck kdpeck at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 8 09:54:57 EDT 2019

Hi Everyone,
I have a person who isn’t happy trying to use the Apple Dictate software now built into the Mac OS.

It isn’t good at recognizing all kinds of terms and it does not have an ability to add new words or learn from the way a person speaks.

The makers of Dragon Naturally Speaking (Nuance) stopped selling the Apple version about a year ago, shortly after Dictate went live for most Mac users with an up-to-date OS version.

Is there anyone here in Mactug world who runs a recent version of Parallels Desktop for Mac, and also who can comment on using Windows applications in integrated mode so that the Windows applications appear and interact with Mac apps?

I’d like to get an idea about whether using Dragon Naturally Speaking for PC in a Parallels VM on the Mac is going to work. E.g. that a USB headset with microphone will be detected in Windows VM, and work to convert speech to text for MS-Office for Mac applications.

Thanks!

Keith Peck
Computing Consultant, Client Services,
Information Systems and Technology
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1.
EC2 2126B, (519) 888-4567 x.47770
kdpeck at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:kdpeck at uwaterloo.ca>