[MacTUG] FYI: Office 365 is now available on the Mac App Store

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 25 13:30:38 EST 2019

Hi Dani,

The issue of requiring an Apple ID I think only applies to App Store personal installs and not to installs managed by DEP/VPP, which is why some of us are looking into this.

Below is a bit on the IT management of Office 365, not in the last line it says that ones MDM system can install Office in the absence of an Apple ID

How do I deploy Office 365 from the Mac App Store?

In order to deploy the apps you need to use an enterprise mobility management (EMM) tool that works with one of the following:

  *   Apple's Volume Purchase Program (VPP)<https://volume.itunes.apple.com/>
  *   Apple Business Manager<http://aos.prf.hn/click/camref:1100laKZ/pubref:US-011-3336480-000-000000-web/destination:http://www.apple.com/business/it/>
  *   Apple School Manager<http://aos.prf.hn/click/camref:1100laKZ/pubref:US-011-3336480-000-000000-web/destination:http://www.apple.com/education/it/>.

Jamf Pro is a good example of an EMM that can handle this task. As an additional bonus, Jamf Pro using admins can now provision and login to Macs using Microsoft Azure AD credentials<https://www.jamf.com/blog/eliminate-the-challenges-of-binding-jamf-connect-now-integrates-with-azure-active-directory>, which makes Apple’s platforms even easier to integrate into existing ecosystems.

The Microsoft note explains that Office supports managed distribution, which means your MDM system can install Office even in the absence of an Apple ID from the end user.