[MacTUG] Add a Mac to an AD security group

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 4 16:33:52 EDT 2018

Hi there
I have a script that binds a mac to AD and does a lot of things: sets which groups can admin it, what OU is should be placed in etc. The one thing I would like is (for macs that will be connecting to AD via wifi) for the mac in question be added to a security group that consists of all laptops that should be accessing AD when on Wifi.

I cannot seem to figure out how to wrangle ‘dsconfigad’ to do this, and I am starting to think that I cannot, when I read things like this support doc -- https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202269 -- where it says “OS X includes a Directory Editor that will let you view and manipulate attributes in an external directory. However, you cannot use this tool to edit group memberships for Active Directory users. To change group memberships for Active Directory users or groups, use Active Directory-specific tools.”

Has anyone succeeded in adding a add a mac to a security group in AD? I am thinking that the answer is ‘nope’

don

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.