[MacTUG] Using ARD to copy to multiple macs -- now super slow

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 16 14:52:27 EST 2018

Hi have 2 macs that are running ARD, and other than a few software updates nothing has changed (to them or the clience) since the September but when I copy files to more than one of my lab macs, the speed becomes unbearably slow (and failure usually happens).

For example a ½ gig file copies to one mac in about 10 seconds. Usually I could send a handful of machines and it would not be that much longer (certainly loads faster than doing them one at a time). Now when I send the file to just 2 macs, it takes minutes to even get part of the file copied. (I have been copying to two macs when I have been writing this and am only at 2%).

I have replicated this on 2 different servers running ARD.

While we have some switches being upgraded in our area, none of them have happened that should be effecting these computers.

I have not investigate this fully but just wanted to see if any other ARD users can replicate this?
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
The information in this message, including any attachments, may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above.  Any other distribution, copying or disclosure which is not necessary and proper in the discharge of the University's functions is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy.  Thank you.