[MacTUG] Secure Erase of SSDs

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 5 14:36:30 EST 2018

Peter, I am looping you in on this one as I am trying to remember the details of a Friday morning seminar you gave many moons ago…

I believe that you said that a normal “secure erase” does not work because as there is a portion of the SSD that is always reserved for its own use (for things like file allocation tables) and unlike the partition that would be reserved for such things on a conventional disk, on an SSD this space is always changing. Which means that a secure erase may not get all the bits of the SSD that have had data written to them.

I believe you said the best solution is to erase the disk and then encrypt is and reformat is while encrypted. Is that right?

If so I think the protocol here follows along that line of thinking…
https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/securely-erase-macs-ssd/

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
The information in this message, including any attachments, may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above.  Any other distribution, copying or disclosure which is not necessary and proper in the discharge of the University's functions is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy.  Thank you.