[MacTUG] Mircosoft Remote Desktop v.10 app for Mac causing occasional ethernet issues

Keith Peck kdpeck at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 22 16:24:35 EDT 2018

Hi Everyone,
Working with Nate we’ve discovered that Microsoft Remote Desktop v.10 for Mac runs a MSRDPMSRPMSRP name query when setting up a new Desktop Connection that causes a high number of ARP requests. The number exceeds the limit set on our network and in defense the Ethernet port the Mac is connected to is temporarily disabled for 30 seconds.

The MSRDPMSRPMSRP name query and ARP requests that trigger a 30 second network interruption may also happen when logging out from other machines, virtual machines, or server connections with MS-RDv10 for Mac.

The work-around is to use Microsoft Remote Desktop version 8.0. Both apps are free downloads from the Apple Store.

Apple users who have active connections to both wired and wifi networks may not notice their Ethernet going offline for the 30 second lock-out.

[cid:image001.png at 01D40A45.82182A70]

[cid:image002.png at 01D40A45.82182A70]

Keith Peck
Computing Consultant, Client Services,
Information Systems and Technology
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1.
EC2 2018E, (519) 888-4567 x.47770
kdpeck at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:kdpeck at uwaterloo.ca>