[MacTUG] Time Machine share on High Sierra and sharing with older macs

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 13 15:06:05 EST 2018

I have a mac I am using as a time machine server. I updated it to High Sierra and then an El Cap mac (that I cant update) could not find the share. Turns out you have to turn off SMB sharing as El cap and the Sierras don’t like talking that way. A good workaround until I replace that El Cap device.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8154649

PS: A nice thing about using a High Sierra Mac as a time machine server is you do not need to buy Server.app anymore for this as functioning as a time machine server is built into highseirra -- https://www.kirkville.com/how-to-use-time-machine-server-in-macos-high-sierra/

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.