[MacTUG] Gimpshop | The Photoshop Free Alternative (Beware)

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 31 14:22:25 EST 2017

BEWARE of the gimpshop.com site as it is slimey! I was on it and it looked a bit cheesy so I looked up gimpshop in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMPshop to find out that this other site is owned by a squatter who is ripping off the creator of gimpshop and effectively discouraging him from further developing the software (from Wikipedia entry): “I originally created Gimpshop, but I'm not the jerk who owns that domain and added adware & spyware to the source. Sorry about that. I hate that this guy is out there making my fun little project into an abomination… I don't have a project site for it. I became discouraged after this whole ordeal and I let it slip away into obscurity.”

So sadly this does not look like a reliable alternate.

For what it is worth, this is the legit site https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimpshop.mirror/

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.