[MacTUG] new retail services printers

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 2 18:26:01 EDT 2017

Hi folks

We are getting some new printers from retail services and my lpradmin command which has worked for quite some time, in the form of

lpadmin -p queue_name -v smb://server_name/queue_name  -D  queue_name  -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ppd_name -o printer-op-policy='default' -o printer-is-shared=false -E

ceased working. I was getting these danged “Printer Status Incoming” pests in my queue. See screen shot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m21p5iha713twkp/Screen%20Shot%202017-08-02%20at%205.46.18%20PM.png?dl=0.  A little googling and I realized I had not included the “ auth-info-required=negotiate” option

lpadmin -p queue_name -v smb://server_name/queue_name  -D  queue_name  -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ppd_name -o printer-op-policy='default' -o printer-is-shared=false -E -o auth-info-required=negotiate

But this seems to have done the trick, knock on wood! Time to go home!

More info: I was initially doing as described here (not that I got the info from here but it is what I was doing):  https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/7082/papercut-+-os-x-+-sso-bliss but a bit farther digging lead to this thread https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/7082/papercut-+-os-x-+-sso-bliss. The funny thing is that I have not been having the problem (of requiring the the “ auth-info-required=negotiate” option) until these new printers.

Notice that last URL is kind of what we need “Papercut plus OS X plus SSO bliss” I can use some of that!

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.