[MacTUG] Configuring Firefox for Lab Deployment using CCK2

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 4 15:11:31 EDT 2017

These notes are for me but if anyone is interested I am using this cool firefox plugin called CCK2 https://mike.kaply.com/cck2/ to customize my firefox lab distribution to do a few things (homepage and bookmark)

Basically I used to do all this using the User Template and I want to move away from that, using Profiles when I can and other solutions such as CCK2.

To use CCK2, install the plugin and then run through it.

·         It does require an identifier and version number so take the file that it generates. I used the reverse url format

·         It creates an autoconfig.zip file. The instructions are pretty windows-centric but in the JAMF forums it gives an idea what to do https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/12720/fyi-firefox-34-0-5-and-cck-2-autoconfig-files

·         The autoconfig.zip file contains a few things that need to get stashed in the Firefox directory:

o    "cck2.cfg" file and the "cck2" directory should be placed in /Firefox/Contents/Resources/ (note in the above link the directory in question is not called CCK2 but “distribution”)

o    The "defaults/prefs/autoconfig.js" file in  /Firefox/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref/

The files it generates are easy to understand (in fact I will probably just manually modify them if I need to add a bookmark etc) but getting the syntax right in the first place would have been time consuming. I have made a small package (using Packages.app) that sticks these files in the right place in Firefox. I have made this a separate package as I want to be able to run this after I have installed the latest version of firefox. Decoupling it from the install of the app gives me a bit more flexibility and only adds one more item in my workflow (and eventually my task sequence)

I can send this package to anyone that is interested and they can modify the above files as this wish

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.