[MacTUG] Apple Remote Desktop, security of sending unix commands

Mike Patterson mpatterson at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 11 16:05:17 EDT 2016

As long as you're not using <= 10.4.10 still. :-)

Honestly, *for service accounts*, storing passwords in plaintext in your script would be ok too (although better would be to store the password in a separate file, then you can check your script into source control somewhere). We routinely do this, although the systems upon which credentials get stored are restricted-access - the only people who have access can reset those passwords anyway, so YMMV. But if it would ease your administration, storing service account passwords is fine.

And yeah, if server and clients are on the same subnet, you're already protected to a certain extent, provided you can trust the clients themselves.

Mike

--
Mike Patterson - Manager, Information Security Operations
Information Security Services, University of Waterloo
+1 519-888-4567, x47178 / mike.patterson at uwaterloo.ca
Security Operations Centre x41125 / soc at uwaterloo.ca