[MacTUG] New Security Threat Targets OS X, iOS through Graphics - The Mac Observer

Marlon A. Griffith m3griffi at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 22 11:21:46 EDT 2016

"""
The Talos team said,

     This vulnerability is especially concerning as it can be triggered in any application that makes use of the Apple Image I/O API when rendering tiled TIFF images. This means that an attacker could deliver a payload that successfully exploits this vulnerability using a wide range of potential attack vectors including iMessages, malicious web pages, MMS messages, or other malicious file attachments opened by any application that makes use of the Apple Image I/O API for rendering these types of files.

The team also said the exploit affects OS X 10.11.5 and earlier, as well as iOS 9.3.2 and earlier. Updating to OS X 10.11.6 and iOS 9.3.3 addresses the issue, and Security Update 2016-004 patches the flaw for OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 and OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.

http://www.macobserver.com/news/new-security-threat-targets-os-x-ios-graphics/
"""