[MacTUG] A few deploystudio settings I am wondering about...

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 9 18:14:00 EST 2015

Everything in my Deploystudio setup works totally fine but I decided to sit down and watch the Lynda section on Deploystudio on"Imaging and Deploying Macintosh Computers” to see if I could pick up any tips. (I didn’t learn anything earth shattering*, but it is not a bad intro).

But I am wondering about this setting: For the restore a partition workflow he enables the feature called “Cleanup existing network configurations" (which is now called “Delete Network Configuration Files”). I do not bother doing this and have no problems. From what I read online this feature may be more valuable if one is deploying the image to a device with radically different network options (such as a device with no wired ethernet port). Has any one used this, and if so, why?

He also disables the “Don’t check restoration” in the same workflow. I should probably see how much time this adds to my process. Normally I am of the “I will know if it does not work” camp, but I am deploying mainly to lab computers where a) I want them out there as fast as possible, and b) if I do need to blow a computer away and rebuild it it is not the end of the world as it could with a clients machine. If I was using it for clients I would consider doing so. Does anyone disable “Don’t check for restoration”?

Notes:
*There are times that I could just use the “File Copy” workflow when I make my life slightly more complex and build a package in Composer. For example I have a package that tosses some scripts into LaunchAgents, and I could just use File copy to place them. Although I sort of like having everything in pkg form. So I learned this but I don’t know if I am going to use it ;-)

Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.