[MacTUG] Fileu (N-drive) userid mapping issue

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 15 10:26:30 EST 2015

OK I think I just did what you are wanting in 10.9 and did not have a problem. I will list what I did to ensure that I am understanding the issue:

  1.  I mounted smb://fileu.uwaterloo.ca/users$/dsmccrac
  2.  I opened an app and then opened a file on the n drive
  3.  I umnounted the n drive
  4.  I mounted just users$ (smb://fileu.uwaterloo.ca/users$/)
  5.  I opened the app and then went to open recent and successfully opened the file

I mean given that your directory is in users$ and you have permission I really do not understand why it is not working. Am I missing something?

And by the way I would not say that it is mounting the wrong folder, as users$ really is the mount point. I have been having the n drive mount for years with the mac labs and I know it is users$ that has been mounting. What I do is I have a script that when the user logs on ensures that there is an alias on the desktop pointing to their directory on users$

In fact why don’t you try that. Make and alias locally to their directory on $users and go to that to open files. I wonder if that will clear up any path issues you are having?
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.