[MacTUG] Backing up to an SMB volume, or versa visa ;-)

Lawrence Folland lfolland at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 26 11:26:26 EST 2015

Sounds like what we're using OwnCloud for.  It is a DropBox-like equivalent running on a local fileserver.  You install the OwnCloud client on whichever machines you want to replicate the data on.  I have it on my laptop, my desktop computer at my desk at work and my desktop computer at home.  It will do an initial sync and then updates files as they change.  The updated file is available to each machine.  That provides an inherent backup system since you replicate it to each machine.   There are Windows, Mac and Linux clients.  WE have the server running on a Linux box with local storage.  So far it's in pre-production mode but those who are using it (me and a few faculty members) really like it!  On the server, the files are encrypted.  All communications are over an encrypted SSH connection.

Lawrence