[MacTUG] Adobe Software Changes

Sandra Laughlin laughlin at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 26 11:19:47 EST 2015

Good morning everyone,

I wanted to update you on the licensing changes for Adobe Creative Suite (CS)<http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/cs6.edu.html?promoid=KFPRN> products.

What is happening?
Beginning March 1,  Adobe Creative Suite products will not be available for purchase through their Cumulative Licensing Program (CLP).  A small number of non-CS products are still available through this program, including Elements, Premiere and Acrobat software.

How does this impact me?
Adobe CS products will be licensed through a subscription service based in the cloud. When subscribing for this service the client will be required to pay for a 12 month term. This subscription will automatically renew, unless otherwise indicated.

After meeting with Adobe it became quite clear that they have no suggestions on how to manage a large number of subscriptions, unless a campus agreement is purchased. This, however, is not a viable option as the cost for this annual agreement far exceeds our current dollar amounts spent.

The IST Service Desk in EC2 will continue to sell the non-CS Adobe products, but will not be handling the purchase of subscriptions. There is still a healthy stock of Adobe CS6 on hand, which will continue to be sold until the supply runs out, or, Adobe announces that it can no longer be redistributed.

Subscription option
For those of you wanting to move to the subscription model, you have the option of purchasing it with a credit card (perhaps a department pcard) or contacting the reseller, Lisa Fasulo from Softchoice, Lisa.Fasulo at softchoice.com<mailto:Lisa.Fasulo at softchoice.com>. Lisa has agreed to be our contact and will obtain quotes for you on the software you would like to purchase. Please remember that this will be an annual cost and you should get warning emails about one month before the software expires.

Thanks
Sandra

Sandra Laughlin
License Coordinator