[MacTUG] MacOS 10.10 security vulnerability now being exploited

Mike Patterson mpatterson at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Aug 6 16:20:05 EDT 2015

That eliminates the current remote vector, although attackers have demonstrated they can get new signing certificates, making revoking the cert a workaround. Also, Gatekeeper in its default mode would block untrusted software, but I don’t know how many people actually run it in default mode. I don’t, it’s at “Mac App Store and identified developers” which I think would still block the revoked cert, but… well, see above.

The only real fix is Apple closing the OS hole. I don’t know how easy that is - I assume if it was, they’d have already done it.

Mike