[MacTUG] Apple patches root escalation in Yosemite, older may not see patch | MacNN

Mike Patterson mpatterson at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 10 15:39:34 EDT 2015

I’ve posted this link to the security working group as well, with the following commentary (apologies to people who are now seeing this for the second time):

So, while Apple has traditionally provided security patches for releases X-1 and X (and sometimes going X-2), they’ve broken the de facto support of “2-3 most recent releases” with the latest 10.10.3 patch:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/04/10/exploit.demonstrated.with.physical.access.possible.remote.exploit/

While we don’t have a good way to enumerate MacOS releases (in the past I’ve fudged it based on user-agent strings seen in http connection logs) I think it’s pretty safe to say we’ve got several dozens to hundreds of systems on releases older than 10.9, never mind 10.10.

Now, Apple is correct in that the physical security requirement is a mitigating factor for *this* vulnerability, but I think this should be an impetus for anybody at a release older than 10.9 to be upgrading ASAP - Apple have now set a precedent for not fixing a serious vulnerability if they deem it too difficult to do.