[MacTUG] Yosemite and Wi-Fi issues

Glenn Anderson anderson at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 22 14:43:45 EDT 2014

Came across this solution for this issue that might be worth noting/trying

http://macdailynews.com/2014/10/22/fixing-os-x-yosemite-wi-fi-issues/

MacDailyNews Take: This is not a new issue. It also happened with OS X Mavericks. We had this problem on one of our Macs running OS X Yosemite and fixed it the way we always have, by resetting the SMC (System Management Controller).

We don’t know precisely why this works, only that it has worked for us in multiple cases of wonky Wi-Fi with iMacs and MacBook Airs running OS X Mavericks and OS X Yosemite.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting the SMC on portables with built-in batteries:
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove:
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it’s connected.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
5. Release the power button.
6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve:
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer’s power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer’s power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: Resetting the SMC does not reset, or otherwise change, the contents of PRAM, which is also known as NVRAM on Intel-based Macs.