[MacTUG] Important: Connect email servers blacklisted

Natasha Jennings njennings at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 8 10:03:43 EDT 2013

Important: We will never ask a user for their password. If a user receives an email (or phone call) asking them to enter/share this information, it is a phishing attempt. The user should report the phishing attempt and disregard the request. It is imperative that this information be shared with users.

What is happening? As a result of the recent account comprises, which resulted in spam being routed through the Connect email server, many external servers are now rejecting email from Connect email services. While not limited to these groups, the majority of Connect email clients are Waterloo faculty and staff.

How does this impact me? Emails sent via Connect may be delayed or rejected by the recipients server.

How will I know if my message has been rejected or delayed? 4 hours after the email message has been sent, users will receive an email informing them that their message has been delayed. If after 24 hours the message has not been delivered, our server will stop attempting to deliver it and will send a message to the user telling them that it has given up.

Below is a list of servers currently rejecting email sent via Connect and the number of messages queued (as of 10 a.m.).

*        1 cdw.ca

*        2 gm.com

*        2 dell.com

Note: This list is fluid and will continue to change over the course of the next few days.

Questions/concerns? Please contact the IST Helpdesk, helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca> or ext. 84357.

We will continue to provide updates on this issue as we receive them.

Natasha Jennings
IST Communications Officer
njennings at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:njennings at uwaterloo.ca>
519-888-4567 ext. 37951