[MacTUG] Profile Manager and Firewalls

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 14 19:10:43 EDT 2013

While I was only interested in blocking inbound connections to my server for the time being but I have now moved beyond that, solely in the name of SCIENCE ;-) I have been curious on what the impact of a firewall will have on the interaction between the Mac Client and the Mac Server. (Note that I am coming from the perspective of a firewall being a good thing)

To recap, I enabled a fairly locked down (for incoming connections) firewall on the Mac Server (courtesy of IceFloor) and things worked fine.

If I blocked outgoing connections outside of UW on the server, the changes to the client profile did not seem to make it from the server to the mac client. They would not even show up as 'active tasks' in the management window for profile manager.

Merely out of curiosity, I enabled the firewall on a client limiting incoming connections to within the Campus. Frankly from what I had read (and how the blocking of outgoing connections from the server caused probs) I expected problems. But the profile updates from the Server did make it to the client. Weird, I hate when things work ;-)

Mike, I know that you are right in that APNs started on iOS devices, but I am pretty sure that they are powering Profile Manager's notices it sends out to the clients. Clearly it looks like the Server needs to talk out to the world regarding changes to the profiles. I am wondering if the clients are not really being 'pushed' these APNs but are polling for them every now and then (and it looks like they are pushed), and I would guess that if they are initiating the discussion, then the server could respond back on those ports, even if there are some blocks on incoming activity.

I wonder, but as I am taking tomorrow off, I will try not to wonder too hard until next week ;-)

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people/donald-duff-mccracken

To request help from MAD please use Request Tracker. For info see:
https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/~wwwrt/cgi-bin/rtuser.pl

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.