[MacTUG] New Xerox printers and 10.8???!!!???

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 28 16:49:11 EST 2013

Has anyone had trouble with the new xerox printers (e.g. 5335 and 5745) and Mountain Lion. The older OSes seem to be OK.

I think Xerox has done weird things with the drivers. Even before you print, strange things are going on. When I select print from the file menu (but before I click on the print button) two "Printer Status" files appear in the print queue.

[cid:1F3A2D6A-5757-4459-BFFC-FBECABAA38F4]
I have never seen something like this before.

They time out and crash the system, creating this error message (I can send someone the full message if they are that interested).

At first I thought it may be the case that the 'global print' driver that is the culprit. The problem is that one has to use the global print driver if one expects to get any support for Xerox. We had some problems and until we updated our driver to the global print driver, Xerox support would not talk to us as we were not using the latest and greatest driver. But I have replicated it on printers using the non-global xerox driver targeted for the particular printer.

When I print directly to the printer — something I do not want to do — it works fine. But even in this case the two printer status print jobs are still being initiated. I think the issue is that these stupid status checks are being sent out and when it is going to a printer directly, all is well as the printer is smart enough to respond, but of course when it is going to a print server the print server does not know how to respond.

For one of the printers using the generic ps driver seems to work fine but for the other that is problematic (I think the printer is too complex to understand the vanilla postscript driver).

Any thoughts? John, as a mac user and someone involved with these printers, have you seen this???

don

[cid:6F7CF798-EE8E-4E3C-9504-5BC69D0DA456]

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people/donald-duff-mccracken

To request help from MAD please use Request Tracker. For info see:
https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/~wwwrt/cgi-bin/rtuser.pl

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.