[MacTUG] A complex "reset after power failure" question...

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 10 16:37:33 EDT 2012

Hi gang

I have a couple of mac minis that I am using to run some hallway displays.

The software that we need to use is Windows only, so these machines are running as windows computers on Apple hardware. I need to set them up to reset after power failure. This would be no big deal if they were running OS X. In fact, they do not even have OS X on them.

I was hoping that the energy settings was hidden somewhere in the open firmware (as it is on a windows computer in the bios). But it does not look like this is the case. Note that I cannot easily test the mac minis as they are securely mounted many feet above ground level!!

I did try it on a mac server I had that had to bootable partitions.

  1.  When booted from the main partition I noted that the server was set to reboot after power failure.
  2.  I then booted from the other part ion and set it not to reboot after a power failure
  3.  I then booted again from the original drive and (to my disappointment) the mac was still set at its original setting of booting after a power failure.

I was hoping that in the test I just did that the mac would not be set to boot after a power failure — I was hoping this to be the case in that it would mean that the mac would be set to restart without there having to be a resident OS installed.

Now this does not really make sense in a lot of ways… I can have a mac set to network boot and tell it reboot after a power failure and likely do this and not have an OS on my computer, yet when I boot from one OS (on a dual-OS-X-boot mac) and tell it to perform one way it is then altered when I boot from the other Mac

Any suggestions? If I put the Mac partition back (I think we removed it for security reasons — why leave extra Oses on a computer that is in a public space), set it to restart after power failure, and set the start up disk to be windows, will it behave as I want?

Any suggestions would be welcome before I break out a rather tall stepladder haha

don
------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
To request help from MAD please use Request Tracker. For info see:
https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/~wwwrt/cgi-bin/rtuser.pl

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.