No subject

Mon Oct 29 21:31:58 EDT 2012

Starting in Lion (with Apple's implementation of SMB due to licensing issue=
s with Samba) I found that for accessing a subdirectory the user have to ha=
ve permission to access all the subdirectories in its path.

Example:
For dsmccrac to access subdirlevel3, you will have to allow dsmccrac access=
 to sharename, subdirlevel1, subdirlevel2 and subdirlevel3
smb://hostname/sharename/subdirlevel1/subdirlevel2/subdirlevel3

In Snow Leopard and earlier, access to subdirlevel3 was enough.

Have you notice the same?

Some people are disabling Apple's SMB and installing Samba to provide the s=
ame functionality as before Lion:
http://www.x2416.com/2012/06/samba-on-osx-lion-server.html

Guillermo

From: Donald Duff-McCracken <dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:dsmccrac at uwaterlo=
o.ca>>
Date: Monday, 6 May, 2013 4:34 PM
To: macTug <mactug at mailman.uwaterloo.ca<mailto:mactug at mailman.uwaterloo.ca>=

Subject: [MacTUG] AD, 10.8 Server, and Filesharing

I used to have no problem sharing a directory with 10.6 Server and allowing=
 a AD user (i.e., me, dsmccrac) to have access to the directory. I cannot r=
eplicate it in 10.8.

To clarify, I can bind 10.8 Server to nexus, I can tell it that the nexus u=
ser dsmccrac should have access to a directory, but the mounting fails.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Don

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
https://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people/donald-duff-mccrack=
en

------------
To request help from MAD please use Request Tracker. For info see:
https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/~wwwrt/cgi-bin/rtuser.pl

------------
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sol=
e use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in t=
he original message. The information contained in this email is private and=
 confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notif=
ied that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this=
 communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically aut=
horized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in er=
ror please notify the original sender immediately.

--_000_CDAE7D2947D89gfuentesuwaterlooca_

<head>

</head>
e-break: after-white-space; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 14px; font-fami=
ly: Calibri, sans-serif; ">
issues with Samba) I found that for accessing a subdirectory the user have =
to have permission to access all the subdirectories in its path.</div>
ccess to sharename,&nbsp;subdirlevel1,&nbsp;subdirlevel2 and&nbsp;subdirlev=
el3</div>
div>
the same functionality as before Lion:</div>
lack; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM:=
 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #b5c4df 1pt solid;=
 BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 3pt">
href=3D"mailto:dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca">dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca</a>&gt;<br>
r>
ctug at mailman.uwaterloo.ca">mactug at mailman.uwaterloo.ca</a>&gt;<br>
and Filesharing<br>
-break: after-white-space; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 14px; font-famil=
y: Calibri, sans-serif; ">
owing a AD user (i.e., me, dsmccrac) to have access to the directory. I can=
not replicate it in 10.8.</div>
xus user dsmccrac should have access to a directory, but the mounting fails=
.</div>
------------------</div>
ken&nbsp;</div>
 Manager</div>
&amp; Design</div>
ment</div>
rloo</div>
151</div>
/uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people/donald-duff-mccracken">htt=
ps://uwaterloo.ca/environment-computing/about/people/donald-duff-mccracken<=
/a></div>
om MAD please use Request Tracker. For info see:&nbsp;</div>
/rt.uwaterloo.ca/~wwwrt/cgi-bin/rtuser.pl">https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/~wwwrt/c=
gi-bin/rtuser.pl</a></div>
cation is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the prima=
ry addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original messag=
e. The information contained in this
 email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient=
 you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or=
 distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.&nbsp; If yo=
u are not specifically authorized to
 receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please=
 notify the original sender immediately.&nbsp;</div>

--_000_CDAE7D2947D89gfuentesuwaterlooca_--