[MacTUG] iOSTUG ;-)

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 6 10:41:37 EST 2012

In one of those typical "when is the mac going to move from intel to ARM" articles that appear on a regular basis (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/06/arm-based-macs-seen-as-inevitable-but-apple-unlikely-to-switch-anytime-soon), the rather trivial role of the Mac to Apple's bottom line was pointed out. Ouch. I knew it had gotten small but I did not think it was this small:

"the Mac represents just 14 percent to 18 percent of Apple's total revenue. In comparison, the iPhone accounts for between 45 and 50 percent of the company's revenue, and the iPad is 20 to 25 percent."

No wonder I sometimes feel like the Apple ][ dudes must have felt in the 80's   ;-)

(It would have been ironic if this email ended with 'sent from my iPhone' or 'sent from my iPad' but it was sent from my good old iMac, in this case, haha)
------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
To request help from MAD please use Request Tracker. For info see:
https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/~wwwrt/cgi-bin/rtuser.pl

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.