[MacTUG] Managed software for Macs.

Guillermo Fuentes gfuentes at uwaterloo.ca
Wed May 2 11:21:40 EDT 2012

Hi all,

One of the things I wanted to find out about at the Apple Connect training camp was what people were using for managing software on Mac OS X. It turned out there is an open source project called Munki (http://code.google.com/p/munki/) that's used by several companies, including Walt Disney Animation Studios (where the lead developer works as Senior Systems Engineer), Google, and several universities around the world.
After testing Munki with a few packages on a few Macs I can now confirm is working great for us. I'm managing the following packages on our lab machines and I'm working on moving all packages I can to Munki:

  *   Firefox
  *   Google Chrome
  *   MS Office 2011

I've tested it on Mac OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.8 and 10.7.3.

Were you looking at a similar solution?

Guillermo