[MacTUG] Home folder redirection

Dani Roloson daroloso at mfcf.math.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 19 15:05:34 EDT 2012

I've got a 10.7.4 client and a 10.7.4 server (both clean installs) and a 2003 SP2 AD domain.
(The redirection of home folders works fine with 10.6.8 clients and 10.6.8 servers with the above AD domain.)

Followed these rules:
* Use Server app (as much as possible).
* Bind to AD first; then create OD master.

The only service I turned on was Profile Manager.

Workgroup Manager seems to still be the only way to create
New Augmented User Records

We used to add these fields to the augmentation

dsAttrTypeNative:homeDirectory          /Network/Servers/FQDNofSMBserver/cifs.homedir/MacProfile

but they don't appear and the values show up in HomeDirectory and NFSHomeDirectory respectively
so I now set up those fields instead i.e.

NFSHomeDirectory  /Network/Servers/FQDNofSMBserver/cifs.homedir/MacProfile

In Directory Utility -> Active Directory -> Advanced Options -> User Experience
both Force local home directory on startup disk
and Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location
are unchecked.

With 10.6, we had to establish a trust with AD after each reboot using a LaunchDaemon
that would wait until the loginwindow was running, enable UNC path, lookup a known AD user,
and disable UNC path.  That doesn't seem to help either.

I'm getting a local home directory on startup disk
and nothing under /Network/Servers. 8-(

Dani
MFCF