[MacTUG] os x data recovery software -- Disk Drill RULES!

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Sep 29 08:57:56 EDT 2011

Hi
There
I upgraded my copy of techtool that came with Applecare to techtool pro
(and no offence to the folks that think it is good) I found it pretty
useless. Firstly, it asks you to give it the name or part of the name of
the file (which is kind of hard when the user says 'i need anything'), and
even when I said that part of the name was .jpg it did not seem to find
much.

But all is not lost and it was not a waste of time! I then tried Disk
Drill, which is neat in that the demo lets you do the scan and then
preview the files (using quicklook). If you are satisfied that it works
for you, you then buy the package. Please note the important point,
sometimes, that quicklook view may be all that you need -- if some admin
type was panicking because they needed an important list of numbers in a
spreadsheet, for example, a screen capture of this quicklook view may be
enough.

But the best news is that they have a competitors upgrade of 50% off of
the regular price of $90 (which is not bad) so my path to Disk Drill via
Techtool Pro was not a waste.

The only downside to the package is that it cannot save file names, but it
neatly groups all the files into their file type, lets you sort by
recovery chance, date and filesize. That coupled with using quicklook in
the finder when you have recovered them, makes this not too bad.

Anyhow, two thumbs up for DiskDrill.
------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
------------
To request help from MAD please us Request Tracker. For info see:
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
<http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/>
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the
sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies
in the original message. The information contained in this email is
private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are
hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or
distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are
not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that
you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.