[MacTUG] lion login screen

Donald Duff-McCracken dsmccrac at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 29 18:25:38 EST 2011

Dani should come over and cook for my poor kids, because instead of doing that I have been farting around with login screen images for lion.

I have got it to work reasonably well

This is a good link for most of the info: http://t3kd.com/blog/2011/07/27/how-to-change-os-x-lion-login-screen-background/

Here is some extra info:
1) To stress, the image has to be set at 72 dpi. If it is wrong, it will fail
2) For some reason the image has to be a lot darker (I mean a lot). By guess and by gosh seems to be the way to do it
3) Speaking of dark, you want the bottom part to be pretty dark as it has the restart/start text on it.
4) I could not get scaling to work but if you have a larger image, it places it from the bottom left (the usual spot for this sort of thing). So even if you have a lab of multiple resolutions (which I do) if you have it scaled for the largest size and make an image that works fine if the top is cropped or whatever, then things are fine. For example, I took a nature image of grass from the apple desktop picutres folder, and put a bit of a gradient accross the bottom of it (so the buttons look ok on it) and scaled it for the largest monitor I use and if a bit is cropped off the sides or edges it does not matter -- and looks better than that stupid linen.

------------------------------------
Donald Duff-McCracken
Technical Services Manager
Mapping, Analysis & Design
Faculty of Environment
University of Waterloo
(519) 888-4567 x32151
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/computing/people/don.html
To request help from MAD please us "Request Tracker". For info see: http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/computing/faculty_staff/
This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately.